Friday, March 1, 2013

Thinking of Spring on the First Day of March


The pensive-looking fellow above in bronze is Riccardo Selvatico (1849-1901): a Venetian-language comedic playwright and poet, the city's (Progressive Party) mayor from 1890-1895, and the original formulator of what would become the Venice Biennale. This sculpture by Pietro Canonica overlooks the entrance to the public gardens that leads directly to the main pavilions of his brainchild.

The pink-orange light of sunset two days ago gave the small clusters of tiny red buds behind him the appearance of flowers when, in fact, on closer inspection they look to be weeks away from flowering. Nevertheless I've been thinking of spring ever since--and now imagine that against such a backdrop, Mayor Selvatico, chin in hand, must have the same thing on his mind.

4 comments:

  1. Bring on spring, I say! Enjoy, Signore Selvatico.

    But, one musn't be too swift at tucking the woolies away, March in Venice can throw us some surprises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not packing anything away yet; I'm taking your advice, Y--and am well aware of how frequently the world stubbornly just plain refuses to align itself with my thoughts.

      Delete
  2. Oh my...look at all the red clusters...wonderful!!
    Here in NJ I just spotted my first galanthus/snowdrop. I was very surprised it's still in the mid 30's here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one courageous bud to venture out into the mid-30s! Here at least it's been in the 50s during the day. Today, walking past Sig Selvatico I noticed a couple of buds had started to open...

      Delete